Monday, May 14, 2012

Listen :: Jeff Beam :: Be Your Own Mirror



This is about all I can/want/choose to handle on a Monday morning following a weekend of unspeakable ups-and-downs.  Chance meetings, terrible news, and corned beef hash (not once but twice) has got my whities a bit tightier than usual, and I'm pretty certain I needed this record to show up.  A swirling blend of tight songwriting chops and noise place Jeff Beam of Portland, Maine firmly in Adam Granduciel-meets-Elliott Smith/Cass McCombs territory.  There's even a bit of New England interstate krautjam snuck in, like hitting I-95 immediately after losing five pounds at the rest stop and slamming a Red Bull.  Aerodynamic, completely relieved, and confident for the future.  Which is not to say that this is great driving music.  Just great I-95 rest stop vending machine music, that's all.

I can't seem to find any label info for this man, so I'm gonna make the rare assumption that this guy works on his own dime.  Impressive, in this economy, yeah?  Risky business, sir.  Please listen to his newest record - Be Your Own Mirror - at his bandcamp page.  Perhaps even part with five hard-earned bones for a CD or hand-painted cassette.

 
Also, this.  Rest easy, Marty.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment